Chapel Clean up

The two chapels within the Queens Road Cemetery date from the opening of the Cemetery in 1872. The Anglican chapel (orientated East-West,) is joined to the Non-Conformist Chapel (orientated North-South) by an open arch with a bell tower. Neither chapel has been used for services for several decades. The Non-confromist chapel still has it’s original […]

The two chapels within the Queens Road Cemetery date from the opening of the Cemetery in 1872. The Anglican chapel (orientated East-West,) is joined to the Non-Conformist Chapel (orientated North-South) by an open arch with a bell tower. Neither chapel has been used for services for several decades. The Non-confromist chapel still has it’s original beamed ceiling, and Victorian tiled floor; the Anglican Chapel had
We have been given permission by the Cemeteries Operations Manager to use the chapels for project events, and have set about giving the Anglican chapel a face-lift.( the Non-Conformist chapel needs some work to the ceiling before we can use it for public events)
Over the spring and summer we have had several clean up and painting days. The chapel walls had been painted a pale pink, but cracks in the plaster had been mended over this, so we needed to give the interior a coat of fresh paint.
Cleaning the chapel in preparation for painting took a while – the dust of years had settled on the window tracery, and there were cobwebs everywhere. With volunteer help we set about washing down walls and woodwork, and sweeping out huge accumulations of leaves from the outer porch before putting a coat of white paint on the walls. It has made a huge difference.
We are planning more works; we aim to apply another coat of white paint to the walls in the near future, and are hoping to get advice and funding to undertake more substantial restoration in both the Anglican and Non- conformist Chapels