list view

Markhouse Common Allotments
Markhouse Common Allotments are the last remnant of land that once belonged to all local people in common. There were rules, but essentially it was available...
view
St Saviour’s Church
St Saviour’s was built in 1874 and survives virtually unchanged to the present day. Its spire is a landmark for walkers on the nearby marshes.
view
Queens Road Station
Queens Road Station was opened to passenger traffic on 9th July 1894 – the line had opened to goods trains a week before on 2nd July. It was part of a line t...
view
The Dyson Family
Eileen Rance, née Dyson, still lives in the house in Queen’s Road where she was born in 1932, the youngest of four children and the only girl.   The...
view
Arthur Spencer
Born: Walthamstow, probably on 5th September 1905   Parents: William and Charlotte Spencer   Siblings: Agnes, Alfred, Ada, Annie and...
view
J Hitchman and Sons
Only a few years ago most people had their milk delivered. And in the days before almost everyone had a refrigerator, the milk cart came round several times a...
view
104 Longfellow Road
This house was built in about 1904, at a cost of around £75. The Spencer family from Hackney moved in as soon as it was finished. Arthur Spencer the second...
view
Queens Road Cemetery
By the 1860s the pace of growth in Walthamstow had speeded up. The thousands of extra people needed homes, jobs, shops, schools - and a place to bury the dead...
view
The Chestnuts, Hoe Street
Once the Chestnuts was just one of many grand houses that lined Hoe Street. Now it is a rare survivor, shorn of its gardens and with a new school building...
view